Here to help you

If your planning application has been refused or you have received an Enforcement Notice, do not despair. I can help you. Please contact me for a free initial assessment.

Who decides the appeal?

Appeals are made to the Planning Inspectorate who are independent of the Council and will look at the case impartially and make a decision based on the evidence provided. There are three ways in which an appeal can be dealt with and I can advise on the best route, but they include the following:

  • Written Representation – The most common, quickest and simplest way of appealing. The Council and Appellant submit their case in writing. The Inspector attends the site and makes a decision based upon this visit and the written statements. This route does allow the Appellant to respond to the Council’s written statement.
  • Informal Hearing – This is an informal discussion around the table between the Council and the Appellant led by the Inspector. The discussion is based upon written statements submitted to The Planning Inspectorate. The Inspector undertakes a site visit after the hearing. This is a simple and quicker route than an Inquiry.
  • Public Inquiry – Usually an appropriate route for more complex and controversial applications.  This involves the cross-examination of expert witnesses and those who have an interest in the application.This method is more expensive and time consuming than the two procedures described above.

Household Appeals

There is a different route for appealing the refusal of a householder application (for example conservatory, extension or shed).  There is no fee to pay to the Planning Inspectorate to make an appeal. This process is quicker, but the appeal needs to be made within 12 weeks of the refusal of the application.

Maximise your chance of success
To ensure you have the best chance of success in gaining your planning permission, I can help prepare the best case possible using the following strategy:

  • Liaise with Council and the Planning Inspectorate;
  • Research planning history;
  • Research case law;
  • Look at national and local planning policy;
  • Preparation and submission of all documents.

Why use LRJ Planning

As a Chartered Town Planner with many years experience in Local Government, I will carefully assess your proposal and the reasons for refusal and prepare a comprehensive written statement.  I will not take on a case I do not believe we can win.

Why appeal?

Planning applications are often refused without a sound basis, from a poor interpretation of planning policy, too much weight given to local opposition or Planning Committee not agreeing with a Planning Officer recommendation.  As a Chartered Town Planner I can maximise your chance of success.

How much does it cost?

Planning appeals to the Planning Inspectorate are free, and I can offer competitive fixed priced fees.

What  next?

Please contact me for your free initial assessment. Please note that an appeal must be submitted within 6 months of a decision or within 12 weeks for a household refusal and a minor commercial appeal.

If you want to appeal an Enforcement notice it must be submitted within 28 days (or the time set out in the notice). If an appeal is not submitted in time, you lose the right to appeal and the enforcement notice takes effect.